The following links below take you to the Medicare Coverage Database on the CMS web site
where you can access the most current LCDs, NCDs, and Articles.
Local Coverage Determinations (LCDs) for NHIC, Corp.
Use the CMS browsers to select the LCD type you would like to see for the J14 A/B MAC Contractor. Select the LCD Title to view the details page for the specific record. You can also select items using their corresponding check boxes in the right column. After selecting the check boxes you can print the selected items or add them to your basket by selecting the ‘Print Selected’ or ‘Add to Basket’ buttons.
Active (currently in effect) documents will be displayed by default in the Results section. To see additional LCDs for this contractor, you would use the radio button options of:
Select LCD Type:
Future Effective Documents
The MCD offers multiple ways to locate and view data:
- QUICK SEARCH - Allows users to search both the NCD and LCD databases using a variety of criteria such as keyword, diagnosis/procedure, and date. You can use the Quick search to your right. Or click on ADVANCED SEARCH to use additional filters to find exactly what you are looking for.
- INDEXES - Provides users with pre-defined lists of National and Local Coverage documents.
- REPORTS - Provides users with reports of National and Local Coverage data.
- DOWNLOADS - Allows users to download complete sets of LCDs and articles and the complete set of NCDs.
- Contextual Help & Page Help - Contextual Help is a new feature that provides users with the ability to receive onscreen help for specific elements on the page. To use the feature, click the "Contextual Help" link and move the mouse to the onscreen location of the associated page element. The user can turn the feature off when help is no longer required. Users who are unable to use this feature, or who prefer to have a link to a single page of help for the entire page, may continue to use the "Page Help" link to get assistance.
Other references to help with your search on the CMS Coverage Data:
Please click here to access the CMS Medicare Coverage Database which lists the LCD’s by state.
|National Coverage Determinations (NCDs)
||Medicare Coverage Database Archive (MCD Archive)
Please see the most updated versions of National Coverage Determinations (NCDs) by clicking on the link below:
Note: The MCD Archive contains only Local Coverage documents
that have an Ending Date or Revision Ending Date older than two years.
National Coverage Determinations
Retirement of Local Coverage Determinations
The underlying statutory requirement for all Medicare coverage is that it be medically "reasonable and necessary". An LCD defines what is reasonable and necessary more explicitly if needed. It is the preference of our Medical Director to only initiate and retain an LCD if there is a noncoverage or utilization issue. The absence of an LCD in no way precludes claim review based on evidence based medical standards.
The Medical Director decided not to adopt some LCDs from the outgoing contractors into the MAC where there seemed to be appropriate utilization. Therefore, the absence of an LCD hopefully will not change practice patterns.
Note: Although NHIC will be starting the MAC with separate Part A and Part B LCD policies, they will be consolidated into one set of policies for both Parts A and B through the regular CAC process over the coming year.
To look up information by CPT code, use the
CMS search page for all LCDs, NCDs and Articles.